Henderson’s Film Industries - Then
Henderson’s Film Industries was founded in 1918 by First World War fighter pilot Captain William A. Henderson. By the 1920s Henderson’s Film Industries had established itself as the film industries leading laboratories and technical facilities with its company offices based in the London’s Wardour Street.
During the next decade, William A. Henderson was busy
inventing and patenting such improvements in the film industry such as apparatus for Tinting Kinematograph Picture Films – 1923; Improvements in Sound Reproduction – 1932 and An Improved Coating Machine for extending the life of Cinematograph Film.
Throughout the 1930's he expanded the company in the United States where he worked extensively with his demonstration plants in collaboration with Twentieth Century-Fox and their famous Head of Research and Development, Earl Sponable. Returning to England at the outbreak of the Second World War in 1939, William A. Henderson worked increasingly with the Government Film Unit on secret test films of new weapons including filming test shots of the legendary 'Bouncing Bomb’'; invented by Barnes Wallis the story of which was later made into the classic 1954 British film 'The Dam Busters' starring Richard Todd and Micheal Redgrave. William A. Henderson's work on these top secret enterprises during the war gained him the 'honor' of being placed on Hitler's 'wanted' list of British people to be captured on the invasion of England, a feat he fortunately never achieved. After the war William A. Henderson continued running his company for another 40 years, remaining one of the last British film pioneers to continue to control his own corporation.
Henderson’s Film Industries - Now